Copyright © While They Sleep

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Reminder


2012 has been a rough year.  There have been many ups and downs and a few surprise bumps along the way. Regardless of the struggles, I find myself having to reach deep down inside and remind myself how lucky I am. I don’t live in a country, city, or neighborhood where I run from bombs flying overhead. I don’t worry that my trip to the local supermarket could result in me being shot by a sniper. I have food on my table. My son is clothed, fed, happy and healthy. My marriage surpasses every test it endures – after 10 years of dating, and 3 years married, we are standing stronger than ever. I have friends I can turn to when I am feeling incredibly stressed, tired, sad and happy. I have parents I can count on for anything. They never fail me. No matter how much we disagree, argue, butt heads; I have a family I can always turn to. They remind me that we come from a working class family. We are living the American Dream. The term “American dream” is used in many ways, but it essentially is an idea that suggests that anyone in the US can succeed through hard work and has the potential to lead a happy, successful life. Many people have expanded upon or refined the definition to include things such as freedom, fulfillment and meaningful relationships. Someone who manages to achieve his or her version of the American dream is often said to be “living the dream.” We are “living the dream.” And sometimes that dream consists of obstacles along the way. Nothing has ever been handed down to Avin and I, or spoon fed to us. Everything we have, we worked damn hard to have. What we don’t have, we can live without or will work hard to get, if we really want it. In the meantime, we make sacrifices, we work hard, we save; we put our love, our family and our son first and foremost. I needed to remind myself of how lucky I am. I have a roof over my head, and the home that roof shelters is full of love, laughter and joy. I am thankful for that this Thanksgiving, this holiday season and as this 2012 year creeps to an end.  I have to remind myself that I don’t have it all, I may never, but I will always overcome any hardships we may endure, I will always find the light – it will be okay. Breathe. Smile. Find solutions. You have a happy marriage, an amazing family, the best of friends, a beautiful home, and most of all, you have a beautiful, healthy, happy little boy who loves you with no limitations.

0 comments:

Post a Comment