Copyright © While They Sleep

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Why Rick Santorum Will Be the Fall of American Societies

My political affiliations are no secret. Some would say I am a bleeding heart, tree hugging liberal. I agree on the "tree hugging" part, but I would consider myself a libercrat (part liberal part democrat). My stances are primarily liberal, but greatly democratic. I try to understand the madness of the GOP, but I have yet to encounter a situation where I don’t fall to the left on almost any and every issue. I voted for President Obama in 2008 and I will be voting for him again in November, proudly. I believe that he has done the best possible job a man could do inheriting the mess our country and economy was in and considering the constact cock-blocking of Republican Congress members.

But I’ll also be completely honest with you, I don’t really dislike Ron Paul or Mitt Romney. I don’t see eye-to-eye with both of them on every issue, but they don't scare me. I don’t foresee the downfall of civilization should one (especially if Ron Paul were to) win office. As much as the GOP hates it, Paul and Romney are actually kind of socially moderate and if I can’t have socially liberal, I’ll take that as the next best option.

Especially when the other contender is Rick Santorum. I don’t believe you can even call him conservative because this is an insult to conservatives everywhere. I believe he’s running on a closed minded platform. I am not exaggerating when I say that this man scares the living shit out of me. Mainly because I believe Santorum being elected into office would in fact be the fall of American civilization. Any progress we've made, would be lost. Any chance for growth and improvement, would be lost.

Rick Santorum is opposed to all birth control, well, except natural family planning, which by the way, is totally a form of birth control. The whole point is to allow you to have sex without getting pregnant if you don’t want to, which spoiler alert! is exactly what birth control does. Just because "natural family planning" can’t be purchased or swallowed, does not mean it’s not birth control. Though with 8 children, I think Rick and his wife might be doing it wrong, I’m just saying.

He has recently spoken out as being against pre-natal testing because though it can save the lives of children and mothers, it could also cause some mothers to have an abortion. Which when the alternative is a diagnosis that is incompatible with life, or a condition where a child will suffer horribly for several years before dying a painful death, or risk the life of a mother, is actually not the worst case scenario, it turns out. Or it isn’t for normal people, I guess. Because Rick Santorum would rather save the life of a child who literally has no chance at life, he would rather risk the life of a mother who would birth a non-viable baby, he would rather deprive testing that could detect treatable defects than risk a woman deciding to spare a child with a severe birth defect a life filled with pain and disease. What a freaking saint he is. A knight in shining armor! Bravo, asshole.

Santorum is opposed to gay marriage, and has even been quoted as saying that it would make the country fail. He says this on religious principals, which is so funny, because I’m fairly sure that Jesus Christ (pbh) was actually much more in favor of loving your neighbor instead of bad mouthing them and saying that they would cause the downfall of a country. Frankly, Mr. Santorum, I’m pretty sure your sad closed mind is much more likely to make this country fail.

He is also opposed to separation of church and state, except when discussing the Obama administration's requirement that insurance provide birth control for employees of Catholic institutions, in which case he is a firm believe that government should stay out of religion. And he gets bonus points for repeatedly misquoting JFK, who, another spoiler alert! was also Catholic, a fact I’m fairly sure completely escapes our knight in shining close minded armor, Rick.

Santorum also claims that U.S. colleges drive young adult Christians out of church, a claim that was disputed by Protestant and Catholic. He told talk show host Glenn Beck that “62% of kids who go into college with a faith commitment leave without it.”  Thom Rainer, president of LifeWay Christian Resources, a Nashville evangelical research and marketing agency, said, “There is no statistical difference in the dropout rate among those who attended college and those that did not attend college. Going to college doesn’t make you a religious drop out.”  Yes, kids! College is bad for you because it makes you think critically and puts you into contact with people from other cultures who MAY NOT EVEN BE CHRISTIANS! The horror! The horror! You will be far better off not going to college and working for your Uncle Joe’s tree-pruning business instead. Let a real Christian, homo-hating guy like Rick Santorum do all your thinking for you.  Higher education is NOT the villain here, Ricky.  Anyone with a brain knows that. Apparently, you are lacking that vital organ.

I just cannot, for the life of me, wrap my head around how Rick Santorum is still a GOP contender. How anyone could, in good conscience, think that this man would lead our country in the right direction. I guess unless you believe backwards is a good way to go, in which case, you got the right guy.

America, I implore you, stop this crazy train now! Don’t let Rick Santorum have even the tiniest of chances of running our country into the ground, of forcing religion down the throats of people who have no desire to have it or who's religious beliefs are not in line with his. Don't forget that the beauty of America is our diversity, not just in racial diversity, but religious diversity. That is what makes us AMERICANS. Don’t let him take away prenatal testing or decide when and how women should be able to choose to have families or dictate whose marriages are acceptable and whose aren’t. This would be the downfall of American society. This would halt any progress we have made as a nation of acceptance, kindness and peace and take us back to the dark ages. What's next, interracial marriages should be banned?

Americans, WE can do better than this. We have to do better than this. Our future, and the future of our children depends on it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment